We set a target for having carpet fitted to the stairs and upstairs in time for Christmas.
This meant that the landing floorboards had to be repaired and skirting board had to be fitted.
Next, the landing window needed a sill.
I ended up fixing this with CT1.
I then thought I’d help the process along and remove the old stair carpet and was horrified by what I found. All the treads were riddled with woodworm and needed replacing. Fortunately, I had a couple of days before the carpet fitters arrived.
With all the new treads in…
I decided to run in skirting board (previously there was none). I did this with one length of skirting board and cut triangles to match the stairs.
I marked the position of these with masking tape and took all the pieces to the workshop and joined them to the skirting boards using pocket hole joints.
I was pleased with the final result.
I was so pleased I discovered the problem with the treads in time before the carpet fitters came. The stairs had been creaky and it would have annoyed me forever if I hadn’t fixed this before the carpet went in.