Wednesday and Thursday 7/4/21 and 8/4/21
I then cut the remaining common rafters.
I’ve decided to fit a Velux window in the centre of the rear elevation of the roof and so I’m making the roof ‘Velux ready’ by changing the spacing of the common rafters from the original plan to accommodate the Velux without the need for further modification later. I marked the new position of the common rafters…
…along the full length of the ridge and transposed these to the other side. I made corresponding marks on the wall plates.
I then fixed the the common rafters. I generally found it easier to fit the top of the rafter first.
Where necessary, I used clamps to pull in the bottom of the rafter before fixing it to the wall plate.
By the end of Thursday, all common rafters were fitted on both front and…
…rear elevations. Tomorrow I will mark out and cut the hip rafters for the righthand side of the building and if that goes well I’ll start cutting the jack rafters for this side of the roof.