Today Ben carried on with the righthand truss.
He got the first principal rafter in place…
…and started work on the second one.
By the end of the day the second principal rafter was marked up on both ends.
I had decided overnight that the ridge beam was sitting too high in its joint with the king post so I lowered it by adjusting the position of the bearing shoulders in the king post and removing some material from the ridge beam.
Here’s the before and after.
With the ridge beam sitting at the right height in the king post, I turned my attention to the first ridge beam brace. This is the 21st brace of 22! I used a brace blank with a very bad split in it but was able to lose most of the split. I chose a steep angle for this brace as the distance between the king posts is only about two metres and I wanted clear space between the two braces.
I also think the steep angle will look really good when viewed from the ground.
After marking up the brace I cut the tenons and clamped it in place under the king post and ridge beam.
Tomorrow I will start by marking up the mortices.
Tomorrow we should finish the truss and this brace.