A combination of things have taken us off the project for more than two weeks: the weather; getting to a complicated bit; Ben being otherwise occupied and toothache (I’m having a wisdom tooth extracted tomorrow!).
But we did get started again today; starting to work out how the green oak hips are going to fit.
Despite hours of planning and calculations, things aren’t going together as I thought.
All my angles were right but somehow the hip rafter isn’t going to meet the end of the ridge beam as I expected.
I’m not sure why this is. I’ll have to look at my drawings again. But anyway, we’ve decided to use softwood mock-ups of the ridge and hip to design this joint.
This is how we felt things. We now need to work out how this joint is going to work.