Today I experimented with time lapse videos to show the work done on the dovetail joining the wall plates in the rear left of the barn. See the end of this blog post.
Before working on that joint, I completed the front left joint. It needed some fettling. The left shoulder needed cutting back.
I find it useful to use a straight edge to guide such adjustments.
As well as the shoulder, the dovetail needed adjusting. It needed material taking off the back to allow the dovetail to sit lower in the mortice.
When finished, the dovetail sat low to ensure that the the lower faces of the wall plate were flush. The wall plates are not the same thickness.
With the front joint finished I moved to the rear one joining the wall plates in the rear left of the barn. I started by cutting the dovetail mortice.
Then I cut the shoulder that will allow the end wall plate to sit on the post.
I then adjusted the dovetail to ensure that the underside of the two wall plates was level. This took three attempts.
The tent was brilliant. There was a light drizzle most of the day and the tent kept everything, including me, dry.