It was good to get back to the project today having been pulled off it by other commitments for several days. I was hoping to get the two middle posts of the front wall joined to the wall plate today and the four braces cut to the right shape. However, I only managed to do the post joints as I spent lots of time fettling. Nothing fitted first time today. I think I’m being over cautious. Both tenons were bigger than they needed to be and mortices not quite long enough. I put this down to the fact that I’m conscious that I am working on the front of the building and so any mistakes will be there for all to see and, that I haven’t fully recovered from my rookie error a few days ago. The opportunity to repeat the exact same error presented itself again today. I needed to adjust one of the the shoulders on one of the joints.
I started this with the saw but didn’t have the guts to do the whole thing with the saw in case I sawed off the tenon!
So I stopped once the saw line had been made and pulled the joint apart…
…and finished it with a chisel.
This worked really well and wasn’t at all nerve racking.
So at the end of the day the two posts were in place.
Tomorrow I will start on the braces.